Our Green Journey
Our Eco-Pillars drive our multi-dimensional, long-term operational plans and they challenge us to ask more of ourselves and less of the planet in all that we do.
Embracing change in our traditional manufacturing processes and repurposing harvested rainwater has reduced water consumption by 35 - 45% since 2015.
We have placed waste management high on our agenda, with investments in excess of R5 million that have enabled Belgotex to reduce material waste rates to almost zero.
Belgotex has invested over R20 million to date in solar power, resource efficiency and plant upgrades in an active drive to offset CO2 emissions and save energy.
A First for South Africa.
Belgotex is proud to receive South Africa’s first Custom Industrial 6 Green Star rating. This 6 Star certification recognises “World Leadership” at our Pietermaritzburg-based factory for our sustainability practices in all aspects of plant and carpet manufacturing operations. Since the start of our green journey in 1991, we have constantly pushed the limits for operational efficiency, seeking out ecologically sustainable manufacturing methods and developing eco-friendly products.
As the first South African flooring manufacturer to earn the coveted Global GreenTag eco-label certification, we have achieved another significant sustainability milestone. This internationally recognised “Level A” Global GreenTag certification – called GreenRate™ – maximises our products’ eligibility to achieve 100% of the available credit points across all South Africa’s Green Building Council (GBCSA) rating tools. The stringent assessment process has equipped us to develop holistically and entrench sustainability across our value chain.
10% manufacturing energy requirements to be derived from renewable energy
OHSAS 18001 certification ISO 50001 Energy Management System
South Africa’s first 6 star rating for an industrial facility (EBP)
- Green Tag eco label certification
- Compliance to ISO 14000 series of standards: ISO 14025, ISO 14040/4/6, ISO 14064/7
- Introduced recycled content into SDX products using postindustrial waste
- Launched Sustainability Report
- 100% of production is Solution Dyed
- Introduced rainwater harvesting
- 5% of energy requirements derived from solar panels
Introduced Stainproof Eco Fibre into needlepunch ranges (recycled content)
- Eco Collection now includes 70% recycled content in backing of NexBac™ tiles
- Upgraded Effluent Treatment Plant-Membrane Bioreactor (further reduction in COD levels)
- Added a new product with recycled content to our Eco Collection (Berber Point Eco®)
- Carbon Footprint Analysis (Global Carbon Exchange™)
- Carbon Protocol Member
- 95% of production is Solution Dyed
- Products tested and passed VOC criteria for GBCSA Green Labe
- Eco Collection now includes 35% recycled content in backing of NexBac™ tiles
- Launched the environmental website.
- ISO 14001 certification
- Expanded Reclamation Programme to include other NGO’s and creation of Collection Points
- Expanded our Eco Collection to include a carpet underlay with 100% recycled content
- Start of Reclamation Programme
80% of production is Solution Dyed (1985 all production involved a wet dying process)
Effluent Treatment Plant: Total Water Management System
ISO 9001 Certification
Recycling Programme (Waste Converters™)
Introduction of Quality and SHE Specialists