Our Eco-Pillars drive our multi-dimensional, long-term operational plans and they challenge us to ask more of ourselves and less of the planet in all that we do.
A First for South Africa.
Belgotex is proud to receive South Africa’s first Custom Industrial 6 Green Star rating. This 6 Star certification recognises “World Leadership” at our Pietermaritzburg-based factory for our sustainability practices in all aspects of plant and carpet manufacturing operations. Since the start of our green journey in 1991, we have constantly pushed the limits for operational efficiency, seeking out ecologically sustainable manufacturing methods and developing eco-friendly products.
As the first South African flooring manufacturer to earn the coveted Global GreenTag eco-label certification, we have achieved another significant sustainability milestone. This internationally recognised “Level A” Global GreenTag certification – called GreenRate™ – maximises our products’ eligibility to achieve 100% of the available credit points across all South Africa’s Green Building Council (GBCSA) rating tools. The stringent assessment process has equipped us to develop holistically and entrench sustainability across our value chain.
Our Green Journey.
- Compliance to ISO 14000
- Series of standards: ISO 14025, ISO 14040/4/6, ISO 14064/7.
- Green Tag eco label certification
- Introduced recycled content into SDX products using postindustrial waste
- Launched Sustainability Report
- 100% of production is Solution Dyed
- Introduced rainwater harvesting
- 5% of energy requirements derived from solar panels
- Eco Collection now includes 70% recycled content in backing of NexBac™ tiles
- Upgraded Effluent Treatment Plant-Membrane Bioreactor (further reduction in COD levels)
- Added a new product with recycled content to our Eco Collection (Berber Point Eco®)
- Carbon Footprint Analysis (Global Carbon Exchange™)
- Carbon Protocol Member
- 95% of production is Solution Dyed
- Products tested and passed VOC criteria for GBCSA Green Label
- Eco Collection now includes 35% recycled content in backing of NexBac™ tiles
- Launched the environmental website
- ISO 14001 certification
- Expanded Reclamation Programme to include other NGO’s and creation of Collection Points
- Expanded our Eco Collection to include a carpet underlay with 100% recycled content